Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,557 total conversations in 818 threads

+ New Thread

Post a movie you like but everyone hates

Last posted Jan 15, 2023 at 04:04PM EST. Added Dec 16, 2023 at 10:34PM EST
13 posts from 11 users

It doesn't matter if the movie has a terrible rating in Rotten Tomatoes, if none of your friends or family liked it, hell, it doesn't even need to be a good movie (it could be a movie that is so bad that is good).

In my case, none of my family or friends like the Madagascar movies

As well of most of its kin as well (the ones I've seen anyway). I just like seeing how these can be translated into major Hollywood pictures. I'm looking forward to future ones as well, mainly the upcoming Peter Pan film which is directed by David Lowery.

It's Mad Max, but on water and with jet ski's! Seriously though I love the sets and practical effects of the film despite it being a clearly inferior version of a better film.

There's also the 1993 Super Mario Bros movie which is so bonkers and detached from the source material that I find endearing and fascinating.

Adam DeLand wrote:

As well of most of its kin as well (the ones I've seen anyway). I just like seeing how these can be translated into major Hollywood pictures. I'm looking forward to future ones as well, mainly the upcoming Peter Pan film which is directed by David Lowery.

I’ll admit, after watching my autistic sister watch the movie multiple times, it’s actually not bad. The Sultan is commands more respect and authority than he was in the original, Jaffar’s defeat makes a bit of sense, since he has a bit of a superiority complex (he hates being second to anyone else), Jasmine is actually pretty great in this, and I do enjoy Will Smith’s genie a whole bunch.

Something that’s pretty relevant right now, Spider-Man 3. It’s absolutely flawed for sure and I can definitely see why it’s not liked very well, but honestly I still enjoy watching it.

Rylade475 wrote:

Something that’s pretty relevant right now, Spider-Man 3. It’s absolutely flawed for sure and I can definitely see why it’s not liked very well, but honestly I still enjoy watching it.

A guilty pleasure for sure. It has its bad moments but its good moments as well.

Oliver Stone's Alexander

A long-winded and pompous historical epic, widely panned for its poor acting and lengthy tedium.

Despite that, I appreciate that movie for being mostly historically accurate, even if several events had to be omitted and condensed for the sake of fitting into the film's 3 hours runtime. The pompous and pretentious presentation is in my opinion actually very fitting for the movie's protagonist, Alexander the Great, a brilliant, ambitious, and highly narcissistic leader who conquered an empire stretching across most of the known world. If nothing else, the battle scenes are fittingly grandiose.

Last edited Dec 20, 2023 at 02:17PM EST

As far as liking a movie, it's less along the lines of being an unironic liking of it and more of seeing it as "so bad it's good" but there's a movie called Blue Seagull. South Korean movie that touted itself as the first adult animated movie and it tried by way of some plot about a Korean guy trying to get back a sword and along the way there was horrible sex and generic violence. TV Tropes listed it as "so bad it's horrible" and it does show with the film having poor animation, reusing some frames, bad English subs, and a poorly explained plot as to why some sword was important to the yakuza (who get like 3 minutes of showtime) and to some American mafia backed by a company (who get no explanation as to why either of them want the sword) and a last minute ass pull in the protag getting the sword by way of a magic Buddha statue.

Why I like it was simply because of the villain, a racist American mafioso who rapes the not-love interest of the protag simply because it sounded like his voice actor was the only that gave a damn on top of the design reminding me of a cartoon villain from the 90's. Add to that subs in it making me chuckle like "Hitler died, my mother also died" to a thug the main villain kills 2 seconds later or even said villain shooting up a bathroom while going "la la la la laaaa" like he was trying to sing some kind of opera.

Transformers: The Last Knight for me. It has a 15% on RottenTomatoes, yet somehow I kinda enjoy it in a dumb fun kind of way, especially the last third of the movie.

Gonna also parrot enjoyment of Spider-Man 3; flawed, yet a good watch overall.

Last edited Jan 02, 2023 at 12:49AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!