Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,557 total conversations in 818 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
KYM Anime General

Last posted Sep 07, 2023 at 05:25AM EDT. Added Sep 20, 2013 at 07:46PM EDT
1765 posts from 156 users

Dac wrote:

What do you guys think about the series?

Bakemonogatari is one of the first anime I had seen; I still remember when Patrick told me: "watch Bakemonogatari". Since then, I blame him for introducing me into anime and ruining my life.

Back to the point.

I really really like Bakemonogatari. The first time I saw Bake I didn't understand shit, in fact, I ask Pat what the fuck was going on and he told me: "keep watching". (-that bastard-) I kept watching and I discover an amazing story with amazing characters; or at least that's what I think.

At first is confusing, especially those weird frames, but once you start focus on the story you can't go back.

I also recommend you to watch the other seasons too. (Nisemonogatari, Nekomonogatari and Monogatari Series Second Season)

By the way, Senjougahara is best girl.

Last edited Feb 14, 2014 at 08:22AM EST

First anime neh~? Speaking of which…

Technically speaking, my first anime was Sailor Moon (aired at free TV) but i wasn't open to the idea of Magical Girls that time. I was rather fond of action (Yuyu Hakusho) and children's anime (Doraemon~) until at some age.

Entering high school, I somehow managed to finish my real first anime, Shakugan no Shana, (again, on free TV) and starting from there, I indulged to other genres~ Especially school life anime like Tora Dora! and (wipes tear) Clannad.

That said though, I never watched the third season of Shana…was it good?

I think my first anime was actually Tanoshii Mūmin Ikka, and Pokemon. But that was at the time I didn't even know what anime was.

Moomin is still one of my alltime favourite series, and I guess my username proves as much.

As for my first anime, which I actually knew was an anime, was Magic Knight Rayearth.

Yeah, the plot and such might be pretty meh, but I just adore the always inspiring art style of CLAMP.

As for my personal favourite anime, it's Serial Experiments Lain, though it needs several watchthroughs to even figure out what the hell is going on.

But then on the other hand, my alltime favourite manga is Great Teacher Onizuka. I got the whole GTO series, all the Shonan Junai Gumi prequel books, and the entire Shonan 14 Days spinoff.

I'm not watching anything particular at the moment though, but I still have some episodes left of Space Cobra, which I've been watching one or two episodes at a time whenever I feel like it.

I'm still waiting anxiously for every new chapter of Watamote though.

Loli wrote:

Dac wrote:

What do you guys think about the series?

Bakemonogatari is one of the first anime I had seen; I still remember when Patrick told me: "watch Bakemonogatari". Since then, I blame him for introducing me into anime and ruining my life.

Back to the point.

I really really like Bakemonogatari. The first time I saw Bake I didn't understand shit, in fact, I ask Pat what the fuck was going on and he told me: "keep watching". (-that bastard-) I kept watching and I discover an amazing story with amazing characters; or at least that's what I think.

At first is confusing, especially those weird frames, but once you start focus on the story you can't go back.

I also recommend you to watch the other seasons too. (Nisemonogatari, Nekomonogatari and Monogatari Series Second Season)

By the way, Senjougahara is best girl.

I'm liking it so far, so I probably will watch it the whole way through. Speaking of the weird frames, it reminded me of Madoka Magica. The close up on the face, the eyes, mouth, cityscape shots, heads tilted backwards, and the fact it can never just stay at one angle, and downright weird animation style. I then saw that Shaft made Bake also.

My first anime was Pokemon. I started watching Digimon, Dragonball, and some sailor moon too, but then I quickly got into my "Anime is stupid shit for kids and nerds phase". It wasn't until early last year that I really got into to it again with Evangelion because I wanted to see the series that everyone kept saying Pac Rim was copying. I've been into it ever since.

Hey everyone, it's Carno-
And Taur
uh, yeah, here with a question.
You see, Taur and I have friends that are really into anime. So over time, they've convinced us to get into it. So we came here for recommendations on what to watch. Here are some things to help you help us out.

-No gore, or excessive blood.
-Humor is always awesome.
-INB4 Naruto, or Bleach, or One Piece.
-We're open to any time period, but the present or near present would be nice.
-No horror or NSFW stuff please.
-Thanks guys! You rock!

-Carno/Taur

Last edited Feb 15, 2014 at 01:05PM EST

^
Gurren Lagann is a must watch. It's a mecha anime and its spectacular. It has humor, action, and even pulls off drama very well. It's my favorite anime.
I'd also recommend Deathnote, Madoka Magica, and kill la kill to name a few. Deathnote is probably the best gateway anime though. *It has no fan service really, no exaggerated reaction faces, and I while the story is fantastical, it's not hard to suspend your disbelief nor is it over the top. It's a dark anime and plenty of people die, but its not gory. It's a fantastic series, give it a watch.

*i have no problem with fan service, over the top stories, or exaggerated reaction faces personally. I just know people who don't watch anime usually cite that as reasons for why they don't.

So, anyone else here think that danganronpa for PS vita is fucking incredible? I'm like 11 hours in and blazing through this shit. It's so damn good. also, seems Iike we are getting a sequel this year.

Last edited Feb 15, 2014 at 06:06PM EST

Haven't played it, as I don't have a PSV.

As for my first anime, well it was Pokemon, but it wasn't until I started watching Code Geass and Fullmetal Alchemist that I really got into it. Before, I had been turned off thanks to being told by people such as RandomDCE and The Joseph Show about how inferior anime is, and that it is below them. Since I was so young and naive, I just went along with them. However, it was after watching those shows that I became hooked, and found that they were wrong and elitist.

In terms of shows that I finished, the first one was Neon Genesis Evangelion (Rei is my waifu _).

Dac wrote:

Speaking of the weird frames, it reminded me of Madoka Magica.

LOL I saw Madoka a few days ago, Homura's voice was surprisingly familiar.

I couldn't enjoy the story at 100% due all the spoilers I saw since I joined tumblr but, (and I have no problem in admit it) I cried at the end. It touched me very deeply.

I still have to see the movies.

The close up on the face, the eyes, mouth, cityscape shots, heads tilted backwards, and the fact it can never just stay at one angle, and downright weird animation style.

Yeah, that's just Shaft being Shaft. They even make references to themself in other animes. Is like some kind of trademark they have, is glorious.

It wasn’t until early last year that I really got into to it again with Evangelion because I wanted to see the series that everyone kept saying Pac Rim was copying.

Evangelion.

I still processing what the fuck I saw. I love the series and the movies.

I like "Rebuild" and I have to re-watch the three movies again. Can't wait for the fourth one.

@Everyone saying their first anime

LOL

@Dac

Enjoy the Monogatari series.

If you don't cry at the end of the Shinobu Arc in Second Season, you are not human.

Shit, I have a free-anime week. I'm going to have a baaaaaaad time.

Last edited Feb 15, 2014 at 09:26PM EST

I guess my first Anime wound up being Pokemon. But like most people said, back in that day Pokemon was just another cartoon. There was nothing special about it being imported from another country at the time. So I went though the Pokemon + Digimon + Yugioh + a little bit of Dragon Ball Z when my step brother wasn't around to complain about how boring it was just like his mom told him childhood type deal, but eventually dropped them all together because my parrents got so strict with the TV I was essentially sealed off from Cartoon Network.

Fast forwards 5-10 years, and my Dad says he bought some Anime. I didn't exactly understand what he meant at the time, but we watched Howls Moving Castle and Spirited Away with the rest of the family. At that point, I was under the impression it was an art style, which generally evolved to what I know today that these cartoons where imported from Japan. Then I realized that my old Electric Tale of Pikachu comics advertised to be Anime and Manga. Okay! Educated!

Then… my first actual dive into Anime. Of all things I watched Kampfer as it was coming out. It was probably my fascination with magical gender bending at the time that drew me towards it, and then the "barbaric" humor and yuri romance that kept me coming back to it.

Kampfer had the most god-awful ending by the way, so I wasn't satisfied at all. I went and watched Tower of Druaga. Then Ghost Hunt. Then Fullmetal Alchemist and Bleach. Then the Holy Grails of Anime at the time Haruhi, Fate/Stay Night, Gurren Laggan, Nanoha, and a few DOZEN other animes I am too tired to list off at the moment. I was getting addicted pretty quickly, and my childish delusions of grandeur still lingered from my early childhood well into my teen years.

Then over the years I had restricted internet again, and my dad nearly killed it for me again. However… it was a bit late to stop it. Any anime I bought or watched had to be worth my time, so my standards got raised several notches. I pushed aside Harems and Shonen as soon as they arrived on my plate. And to top it off, 3 anime suddenly topped my top favorite anime of all time.

Madoka Madoki, Fate/Zero, and Jojo's Bizzare Adventure.

So for about a year and up till now, I have been in an eternal state of "FUCK IT, I will NEVER be able to find ANYTHING better than those three anime!" But now that thirst has come back to me… and I got some catching up to do.

Random Thought: America North America Every major country in the world should have their own Anime appreciation day. Who's with me?

EDIT: Thanks, Loli.

Last edited Feb 23, 2014 at 09:16PM EST

J4CKlXl455 wrote:

Every major country in the world should have their own Anime appreciation day.

The world should have an Anime appreciation day.

FTFY

And we also have anime conventions. That's something.

Guys, how you deal with the PADS (Post Anime Depression Syndrome)?

Last edited Feb 23, 2014 at 09:05PM EST

Has anyone ever had this situation (well of course you have) with an anime?

There is one character's (Jap VA) voice that you can. Not. Stand. It might be the pitch, it might be their way of speaking (that doesn't translate well at all), or a verbal tic that's like nails on a chalkboard.

Or perhaps centered around that character (or in general) there's a gag…but the thing is the gag crosses over cultural boarders just as well as a snowball across the equator. Whether it be a pun, a cultural joke, or just so overdone and over the top that any value in it is lost instantly.

In short, they're annoying, aggravating, and so tiresome that it sheds new light on the whole "Subs V.S Dubs" issue.

[Then there are the times when the dub rolls around and they keep everything that made him/her so annoying to begin with; the gags, the verbal tics, and the manner of speaking. And you're just left there like

"WHY DID YOU KEEP THAT?!"

I do give the dubbers some slack when it comes to that though; they can't change everything.

Dac wrote:

^
The main character from Heavens Lost Property can be annoying. Not to mention the overused gag of him being super deformed.

Godzilla Trailer

That's not even anime….but I'm too blown away by the awesome to really care.

I will say this now; ever sense it was reviled that Bryan Cranston was going to be playing a lead role in the upcoming Godzilla movie I could only think of one thing.

Godzilla V.S Mecha Heisenberg (codename: "Big Blue")

Piloted by Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul.

…..I need someone to make a fanart of that…it's too awesome not to be made.

^
Looks fuckin tight, right?

Anyways, I finished Danganronpa yesterday. Its a must buy game for the PS vita and I better see it getting at least nominated for best story this year. Holy fuck is it good. The games story lasts about 25 hours, and I was hooked the whole damn time. Seriously, avoid any spoilers, pick up the game, and play that shit.

Kyouko kigiri is best girl. If you dont agree, you are a faggot.

Last edited Feb 25, 2014 at 10:05PM EST

B-but I don't have a PS vita…;_;

I going to watch the anime version once I finish "Spice and Wolf".

@Godzilla trailer

I'm so fucking tired of those horn sounds.

Bryan Cranston in Godzilla? Well, now I'm interested.

I also want to see the anime. Also, they announced that they are making a third game and the second one is getting a stateside release this year.

As for Godzilla, it looks fucking awesome. He looks absolutely massive.

I really don't post here enough, and I should. I guess I'll just say what I'm watching this season:

Samurai Flamenco- My favorite out of all the shows. Don't get me wrong, the show's batshit insane, nut I still find it endearing. And I really like the characters
Kill La Kill – My close second favorite show. Tbh, at first I wasn't really overstruck, it was good but not great. Now though is completely different, I adore the show.
Tonari no Seki-Kun- My close third favorite. I've never been a fan of shorts, but this one really struck a chord with me, probably because it's hilarious.
Noragami – A really good, interesting story with some nice characters.
Recently, My Sister is Unusual – I'm slightly masochistic
Space Dandy – Some of the best animation I've seen in anime (Besides Garden of Words). It's pretty funny when it wants to be too
Silver Spoon 2 – I was a huge fan of the first series. It was funny, interesting, different and even educational at times.
Kuroko's Basketball 2 – Because hot guys. I don't even like basketball, but it sure is fun to watch. Especially when half of the cast act like they have superpowers
Buddy Complex – I'm not really a fan of mecha, but the plot intrigues me.
Wake Up, Girls – definitely the most surprising show this season, I never expected it to be so enjoyable. It takes a very different take on the idol genre
Hamatora The Animation – Tbh, the show really isn't any good, but I'm a sucker for a good detective show/game (I really want DanganRonpa, while we're on the subject, but a Vita is frankly a waste of my small amount of money)

I sure am watching a lot, maybe I should take a break. Especially considering I recently watched Summer Wars, and I've watched it everyday since.

^
Yay, you are watching Recently my sister is unusual too! For a show as vulgar as that, it's actually pretty cute. I like it.

@loli

Just a heads up. Unless you are 100% positive you will never get a Vita (the $199 slim ps vita bundle is coming or you could get a used one) don't watch the anime. It'a ok if you've played the game, but it really does nothing but spoil the game to those who haven't.

Random 21 wrote:

I sure am watching a lot, I should watch more anime.

FTFY ; )

@Dac

Don't worry, I'm 100% sure that I won't buy a Vita. I'm saving to buy a new computer

Well, since everybody made a list:

Currently watching

• Nichijou
  • Kill la Kill (duh)
  • Engaged to the unidentified
  • Witch crafts works
  • Hyouka
  • Spice and Wolf
  • Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren
  • Noragami
  • Nisekoi (I love this one)
  • Space Dandy

To watch

Last edited Feb 28, 2014 at 08:17PM EST

I've been reading this manga ever since an amazon as poped up for it. It's called Monster Musume. Personally, I enjoy it even though its an ecchi with legit monsters.

Also, I finished Bakemonogatari and you were right loli, it is really good. I would say its one of the better animes I've seen.

Dac wrote:

I've been reading this manga ever since an amazon as poped up for it. It's called Monster Musume. Personally, I enjoy it even though its an ecchi with legit monsters.

Also, I finished Bakemonogatari and you were right loli, it is really good. I would say its one of the better animes I've seen.

Monster Musume eh? I believe I may be aquatinted with that series…..

Oh yeah almost forgot. Do you guys remember when I said that I was going to Anime Boston?

Well it looks like that the Attack on Titan English Dub will be unveiled there….
http://www.animeboston.com/news/article/460

I mean, maybe if you guys really want me too I might tell you all about it…considering I'm going and all.

By any chance would that be of any interest to you?

Last edited Feb 28, 2014 at 09:59PM EST

Dac wrote:

I finished Bakemonogatari and you were right loli, it is really good. I would say its one of the better animes I’ve seen.

Kidding.

One down. Three to go. If you liked Bakemono you're gonna love Nise and Second season. Nekomonogatari is kinda boring but it helps to understand Hanekawa's story.

Last edited Feb 28, 2014 at 10:28PM EST

Alright guys, my pick might be extremely random and might have never been heard of before. But, before I get started with my anime pick. I would like to say, that I have a soft spot for Rabbits and Cuteness, so much so that two years ago I decided to order a children's manga that had 5 volumes.

The Manga is called "Happy Happy Clover" which has 5 volumes. It's a "Slice of Life" style manga that tells the everyday adventures of a rabbit named "Clover" (Chima in the Japanese version) and her life in "Crescent Forest". I read all five volumes, and one of the volumes mentioned that it had an anime series that came out the same year.

I decided to use Google Translate, then copy and pasted the Japanese name of the Anime on Google search since the first two episodes got removed on Youtube. Then, I decided to watch the first episode, and it reminded me of "Hamtaro" and "Chi's Sweet Home". I would recommend ordering the manga first, before watching the anime to know whats going on in each episode.

Last edited Feb 28, 2014 at 10:31PM EST

Espurr wrote:

Alright guys, my pick might be extremely random and might have never been heard of before. But, before I get started with my anime pick. I would like to say, that I have a soft spot for Rabbits and Cuteness, so much so that two years ago I decided to order a children's manga that had 5 volumes.

The Manga is called "Happy Happy Clover" which has 5 volumes. It's a "Slice of Life" style manga that tells the everyday adventures of a rabbit named "Clover" (Chima in the Japanese version) and her life in "Crescent Forest". I read all five volumes, and one of the volumes mentioned that it had an anime series that came out the same year.

I decided to use Google Translate, then copy and pasted the Japanese name of the Anime on Google search since the first two episodes got removed on Youtube. Then, I decided to watch the first episode, and it reminded me of "Hamtaro" and "Chi's Sweet Home". I would recommend ordering the manga first, before watching the anime to know whats going on in each episode.

If I were a really awful person, I'd swap the pages of this out with "Berserk" while keeping the cover the same. Then give it to an un suspecting parent, say "This is a really great series for small children." and then walk away with no one being the wiser…….

….Sweet Jesus, looking back on what I just wrote really struck me how almost downright evil that is.

Well it looks like that the Attack on Titan English Dub will be unveiled there….
I mean, maybe if you guys really want me too I might tell you all about it…considering I’m going and all.

I'm sorry, we aren't fucking baka gaijins. Take your casual dub bullshit out of here.

Seriously though, tell us how it is.

I mean, maybe if you guys really want me too I might tell you all about it…considering I’m going and all.

I'm actually really interested in seeing how the dub turns out. I mean, after all, it's very likely to be put on Toonami, so I hope it's good. Plus, Mike McFarland is the ADR director, and I really liked his work on FullMetal Alchemist and especially Summer Wars. I know everyone is starting to hate Attack on Titan now, but I still love it.
@Dac
Yeah, Recently, My Sister is Unusual is cute when it wants to be, but it is still 90% porn to me. I kinda like it for how awkwardly funny it is.

Last edited Mar 01, 2014 at 05:45AM EST

^
Softcore, since there isn't any penetration, but it can get very explicit. You can only see it censored at the moment, but you see boobs getting massaged and licked, the girls crotch getting massaged, orgasams, etc.
still,I think it's cute.

Last edited Mar 01, 2014 at 11:58AM EST

Yeah, basically what Dac said. It doesn't really bother me that much, but I think the show would be 90% better if it wasn't there. Oh, and if they got rid of Yuya's annoying friend, that guy creeps me out.

Dac wrote:

Monster girls isn't really my type of genre, but Monster Musume is one of those rare mangas that just keep pulling you back. Sure, full on ecchi, but the humor makes you look around it easily, because it doesn't specifically center around being ecchi, the ecchi is just that constant fanservice that you either dig or deal with.

Papi is best girl, no challenge.

Dac wrote:

Bertholdt is a baby back bitch. He is just Reiner’s bitch.

I think that's what Random 21 ships as well, so you're kinda just giving him what he wants. Oh Random 21, you and your attraction to tall men.

Last edited Mar 01, 2014 at 05:04PM EST

^
God, I am surrounded by a bunch of faggots. Miia is clearly the best girl, followed by Centorea. Though ill admit I do like them all a lot.

>tfw you realize you will never make love to Miia while she constricts you…

Honestly though, I do like the fanservice in this manga. The girls are all cute and the manga is funny and a good read, the fanservice is just icing on the cake.

Last edited Mar 01, 2014 at 05:50PM EST

Bertholdt is the best kind of husbando, because he's tall and submissive just what I look for in a guy. I'm not creepy, promise

Last edited Mar 01, 2014 at 05:59PM EST

Monster girls just never were my thing. The closest I'll ever get would be Oddman 11. and that really isn't saying much at all. Still, if you like oddball humor and interesting characters, with a dash of fanservice, but not nearly as much as from what I saw by Google Imaging Monster Museum, it's…something. Maybe I'm just a sucker for Dowman Seiman's slick style.
Oh, yeah, hardcore BDSM from time to time. That, too. But it's still only happens rarely. If you're able to get past the very first page, you'll be fine.

Has anyone checked the fresh new one: No-Rin(or nourin) yet? It is pretty cool in my opinion. Agriculture has never been this funny before. I definitely love every single character.

It is good to see that the main character Kousaku is pretty cool. I really hate the main male characters in ecchi genre generally.. But he is not boring unlike others..

I can tell a lot about the other characters too. Kei, Ringo, Minori, Kochou,exc…They all just fucking awesome.
Also stay away from Natsumi-sensei..

I just found out that the guy who narrates the previews of nijichou is the same who did the voice of Mugen on Samurai Champloo.

I feel so depressed. Fucking PADS.

@Agriculture anime

I read that Silver Spoon is very good. Is the classic combination of slice of life with a little bit of comedy.

Last edited Mar 01, 2014 at 09:26PM EST

Dac wrote:

God, I am surrounded by a bunch of faggots. Miia is clearly the best girl, followed by Centorea. Though ill admit I do like them all a lot.

Centorea is overrated waifu crap not worthy of mentioning :^)

Miia is quality yes. Suu can do too, cus goo girl (no other reasons needed).

Random 21 wrote:

Bertholdt is the best kind of husbando, because he’s tall and submissive just what I look for in a guy. I’m not creepy, promise

Your preference in husbandos was an easy guess over time, Bertholdt and Makoto already gave 75% away.

^
RandomMan, if you want to continue being my friend, I suggest you don't insult my secondary waifu. Centorea is quality, mmkay?

No one beats Miia though.

Special mention for Mero… Also quality.

Last edited Mar 01, 2014 at 10:19PM EST

@Loli
Yes, Silver Spoon is a really funny series, both anime and manga. The manga is by the mangaka behind the series is Hiromu Arakawa (who did Fullmetal Alchemist), who based the series on her own life growing up on a dairy farm.

@RandomMan
Don't get me wrong, I also love Makoto, but my love of Bertholdt is way stronger. It's sad really, because out of the two of them, Makoto is way more gay than Bertholdt is.

Last edited Mar 02, 2014 at 06:32AM EST

Dac wrote:

^
Considering I work in agriculture, I have to see that!

Have you seen Moyashimon yet? Tadayasu high as fuck talking to bacteria and shit.
My Little Bacteria Can't Be This Cute!

As for Silver Spoon, it's been ages since I wanted to start it but never got there. But it's not the only one sitting in my plan to watch list. Damn.

Last edited Mar 02, 2014 at 06:52AM EST

Hey! You must login or signup first!